Yes, Orlando is known as home to the Happiest Place on Earth so it goes without saying that it is a paradise for kids of all ages and faces. From Disney’s Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom to ice cream places in Orlando, fairs, festivals and so much more, Orlando is arguably a kids’ dream come true.
If you’re looking for a family-friendly destination perfect for kids, keep reading our list of the best kids activities in Orlando!
1. SeaWorld Orlando. SeaWorld is one of Orlando’s most famous theme parks and a must-see destination to add to your vacation itinerary. Not only is it one of the largest attractions in the city, but it offers a plethora of activities, including wildlife conservation and marine education that provides inspiration for budding marine biologists. Of course, the Shamu show is definitely one of the most popular attractions in SeaWorld, but it’s not the be-all and end-all of SeaWorld. In fact, SeaWorld is one of the few places in the world where you can view seals, dolphins and penguins in the same place, and that’s just the tip of the iceberg! You’ll discover an endless array of exhibits, rides and animal performances, the most popular of which is the “Orca Encounter” show. What makes this show so unique is the fact that it allows you to view the animals in their natural habitat, as it were, and in all of their playful glory. Of course, a trip to SeaWorld Orlando wouldn’t be complete without the Waterfront attraction, which is designed to resemble a tiny Mediterranean village. Stepping into this bustling area, you will feel like you’ve been transported to Italy or Spain, complete with theme-specific restaurants, shops, and even a Sky Tower Ride.
2. Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex. A short, 45-minute drive from Orlando toward the coast will get you to the fascinating Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex, the place to be if you’re an avid space exploration lover. Kennedy Space Center been at the forefront of American space exploration for years and has been at the center of some of the most incredible scientific events in history. This includes the Apollo mission launches, as well as the Space Shuttle Program and the current SpaceX launches. At the Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex, you and your family can actually tour the facilities and enjoy a variety of interactive exhibits such as the historic NASA launchpad that was a part of the Apollo mission. There are also interactive screens on display from which you can watch astronaut interviews and visuals from space, and you’ll even see authentic moon souvenirs! Basically, the Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex offers a lot of great attractions for space lovers, young and old. And hey, the visit might even inspire your kid to become an astronaut who heads to Mars one day!
3. LEGOLAND Florida. Kids love LEGO. This is a well-known fact. However, LEGOLAND Florida Resort in Winter Haven (just a 45-minute drive south of Orlando) is about more than just the tiny, colorful building blocks that kids love playing with at home. Although, your kids will definitely feel like they’ve stepped into heaven once they enter this place. LEGOLAND features some amazing activities in store for young children, including interactive slides, kiddie rides and even character meets. However, some of the highlights also include a DUPLO play area, which is perfect for young children, and roller coaster rides. Of course, we’d be remiss to not mention The World of Chima section of the park that is all about the LEGO brand. Here, your kids can enjoy a 4-D movie experience, a dedicated play area and even an interactive water ride. It’s loads of fun! The LEGO NINJAGO ride is by far one of the most popular attractions at the entire theme park as it offers an immersive experience that makes you feel like you’re a character in a video game.
4. Fun Spot America. Ideally located just off world-famous International Drive, Fun Spot America is a favorite stop on any Orlando tour and it features a wide array of attractions and rides, including a unique wooden roller coaster known as White Lightning. There is also an epic array of go-kart tracks, a Paratrooper ride, enough bumper cars for the whole family and many more surprises that will make a stop here one of the highlights of your entire Orlando vacation!
5. The Wheel at ICON Park. See Orlando from the highest point in the city from The Wheel at ICON Park (a.k.a. ICON Orlando). Ideally located in the heart of International Drive, this observation wheel is so large that it even rivals the London Eye, and it sits at 400-feet above ground. It’ll definitely shift your child’s perspective and make them feel as though they’re on top of the world! It’s the biggest observation wheel along the East Coast, after all. The Wheel at ICON Park offers 360-degree views of Orlando – including its beautiful landscapes, theme parks and overall skyline. It’s one of the best places to take an Instagram-worthy pic during your Orlando vacation getaway.
6. Ripley’s Believe It or Not! We all know Ripley’s as the once-popular TV show that gave us a window into the world of the weird, wonderful and bizarre. So, you can expect nothing less from this immensely popular International Drive attraction that includes live performances, attractions and exhibits that’ll either amaze you, gross you out and amuse you all at once. Either way, your kids will marvel at the extensive dinosaur fossil collection, room of illusions and a real Egyptian mummy. There’s even an area that’s dedicated to a section of the Berlin Wall that stands tall at 10 feet high. Needless to say, Ripley’s offers plenty of opportunities to take plenty of shots for your Instagram or Pinterest pages. You won’t want to miss the seven-legged sheep, two-headed calf and eight-foot-long fish, as well as many other interesting and freaky animals.
7. Congo River Adventure Golf. For miniature golf at its best, few Orlando courses rival the Congo River Adventure Golf course, which offer the perfect locale to introduce your little ones to golf. This colorful mini-golf course is a great place to spend an afternoon and you can follow it up with a few rounds at the indoor arcade, which is also on the premises. Being modeled after the fascinating African landscape, the Congo River Adventure Golf is more than just your regular mini-golf course. It includes real jungles, caves and waterfalls that make you feel as if you are exploring the continent with Livingstone and Stanley.
8. SeaWorld Aquatica Waterpark. For a refreshing change of pace, SeaWorld’s Aquatica Waterpark was designed to help visitors cool off from the unrelenting Florida heat, which can be quite humid and unbearable in summer. As you may have guessed, there’s a plethora of thrilling waterslides in all types of different sizes and shapes, as well as log rides, rafting, wave pools and so much more. There’s even a shallow area designed for the enjoyment of young children.
9. WonderWorks Orlando. Those who have been to WonderWorks Orlando on International Drive know that it is by far one of the most unique attractions in the world. This is mainly due to its upside-down aesthetic that incorporates lots of fun exhibits for the kids – both old and young! Museum lovers will be spoilt for choice with more than 100 interactive exhibits, so there’s a lot to see and do. Highlights of WonderWorks Orlando include an indoor ropes course, a hands-on roller coaster design exhibit and even a simulated earthquake. There’s even a laser tag area included in the price of admission!
10. Gatorland. As the name implies, Gatorworld is all about alligators, hence it’s earned a reputation as the “Alligator Capital of the World.” This incredible theme park offers a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to see real gators and crocodiles in their natural habitat. It’s spread over 110 acres that include different entertainment and viewing exhibits to enjoy such as a petting zoo with a number of family-friendly animals that exclude the gators. There are also a few not-to-be-missed reptilian performances spread out throughout the day, as well as educational wildlife programs and a mesmerizing nature walk. It’s the perfect place to experience the Florida wilderness authentically. Kids absolutely enjoy seeing these majestic creatures in real life, while knowing that it’s a safe environment.
Final Thoughts About the Best Kids Activities in Orlando
Like we said, there’s no shortage of things to do in Orlando, especially for kiddos! Our list is by no means complete and merely scratches the surface of offerings so be sure to check out the Travel Blog for more ideas.